Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The talents of more than 100 area dancers will help raise money for wounded service members.



"We are going to have many different forms of dance: salsa, belly dancing, Polynesian, hip hop," said Zondra Mele, the organizer of the Rhythm of Dance program, which will be Saturday at Sky City. Doors open at 8 p.m.; the show starts at 9:30 p.m.
Last year, Mele held a belly dance show, but this year she wanted to do more.
"I grew up dancing. I enjoy all different forms of dance," she said. "I wanted to bring the whole dance community together."
Most of the numbers will feature groups of people, although there are a few solo pieces, she said.
Not only did she want variety, but she wanted her show to benefit someone else. Part of the proceeds will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, a national nonprofit organization not to be confused with the CSRA Wounded Warrior Care Project.
Mele, who is the daughter of a veteran, said she researched many charities before picking the Wounded Warrior Project.
"They do so many different things for the military," she said. "They offer counseling, build houses and a bunch of other things."
Mele said many people jumped on board when they heard it would benefit soldiers.

"I would like to do this at least once a year and keep it pretty much the same," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment